Re: Upcoming releases

Subject: Re: Upcoming releases
From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Tue Feb 13 2001 - 14:39:16 CST

At 07:11 AM 2/14/01 +1100, Martin Sevior wrote:
>Thanks very much, Randy, Robert and Jeffry. This helps a lot. It was very
>interesting to read that Word allows styles to be applied to a selected
>region. Right now I believe that a style can only be applied to whole
>paragraph in Abi. I think we can apply the style codes to a selected
>region but I don't think it will be recognized as a style in later
>editting.
>
>Is this correct Paul?

Nope, not really. We currently support two kinds of styles -- paragraph and
character.

A character style <s type=c> contains only character properties (ie, font
stuff). When you make a selection, that style is applied only to the
selected characters.

A paragraph style <s type=p> can contain paragraph and/or character
properties. When you make a selection, that style is applied to all of the
selected paragraphs -- including portions of those paragraphs outside the
selection.

Currently, we don't have any hardwired character styles predefined in Abi.
(Frankly, the current set was just a quick hack for demo purposes until we
could implement a Styles dialog and/or templates.) Thus, there aren't any
character-level styles hardwired into the style combo on the toolbar either.

Once again, I encourage anyone interested in Styles to *read* the document
mentioned earlier in the thread, both in AbiWord and in a text editor. A
light should quickly dawn -- styles aren't hard at all and they're very
cool.

Paul

PS: To reiterate an earlier point -- a surprising number of existing
style-related bugs are due to the lack of import/export support in other
file formats. RTF is an especially glaring example, because style info gets
lost there on clipboard operations.