Re: equation editor non-image importing

Subject: Re: equation editor non-image importing
From: Dom Lachowicz (cinamod@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Feb 13 2001 - 23:10:57 CST

>zlib is already an abiword requirement. we even include it in the
>sources for people who don't have it (== windows developers). However,
>displaying the images would take some work in the word importer code.
>Dom would be the person who knew what he was talking about for that
>area.

Time for me to de-lurk :)

Zlib is an abiword requirement. We use it for libpng as well as our ZABW
file format (zlib compressed ABW). wvWare already plays nicely with libwmf.
The problem is that it requires other libs to do its rendering. Basically,
wmf outputs to a backend. There's work going on right now on a new
ImageMagik backend which should be really awesome :)

But for right now, you can get away with libpng. Some hackery might be
needed to do so. I'll explain later.

>I think the idea would be to take the wmf image, convert it to png
>using libwmf and associated tools, and then display it in abiword via
>the png display mechanism.

This is the right idea. We might need to do some work to get libwmf working
on certain platforms, but it shouldn't be too much of an issue. But this
adds yet another dependency to abiword that I'm sure that some people don't
want to deal with. I'm not sure how I feel about it.

Dom