Re: A warning before a major change.

Subject: Re: A warning before a major change.
From: Martin Sevior (msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Wed Feb 14 2001 - 03:10:25 CST

On Wed, 14 Feb 2001, Sam TH wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 14, 2001 at 04:12:46PM +1100, Martin Sevior wrote:
> > HI everyone,
> > We have a problem with Abiword with page numbers. Right now
> > page numbers are contained in a section placed at the end of the document.
> > However the size of the document includes the page number sections. This
> > means that it is quite possible to to place the cursor at the end of the
> > text press "right arrow" and enter the page section. The cursor jumps into
> > the fister header/footer and then any text entered will crash Abiword.
>
> Martin, you appear to have just committed this. However, that was a
> mistake. As Dom stated, this didn't crash on anyone's machine but
> yours. For the rest of us, we were able to enter text in the headers
> and footers just fine. Now we can't.
>
> Is there a reason why this patch should still go in?

Definately! This code fixes a number of problems.

1. The old code crashed abi on printing with a header.
2. The old code crashed if you try to enter a header with a footer already
in the doc.
3. The old code crashed if you insert a footer with an open list and
changed the page size.
4. Users don't expect to go into a footer region by pressing a right
arrow.
5. If you paste text into the end of a document with a footer it will flow
into the footer not the document.
6. It's extremely easy to add a new EditMethod that will put your cursor
into the header/footer so you can add text there. However this need more
work and is not ready yet.

And the big one.....

Dom told me to :-)

Martin