Zero-length Runs and show codes

Subject: Zero-length Runs and show codes
From: Jesper Skov (jskov@redhat.com)
Date: Wed Feb 14 2001 - 07:08:15 CST

Hi

I've taken off a couple of days and dedicated them to some serious
AbiWord hacking.

Present status is that I have removed most zero-length Runs and have
introduced a new end-of-paragraph Run. Most of the editing logic seems
to be working and the blocks/lines/runs work sensibly together.

There's still a lot to be done (redraw flaws need fixing, proper show
modes behavior, mouse pointer selection, selection of page/line
breaks, etc), but I think I might actually get it done this time.

However, I have some (simple) questions:

 o how do I draw the funky q (reversed/mirrored P)?
 o what font should be used, and what size? If the previous text is
   28pt should the 'q' be sized like that as well?

And about followup features:

 o About show codes mode (presently show paragraphs mode): page/line
   breaks are shown by drawing a line with text in it.

   I've disliked that because it looks weird. Maybe because the only
   other place I've seen anything like this used is in WP5 where it
   would be <linebreak> or <pagebreak> instead of something drawn.

   Would anyone object if I made AbiWord show codes work like that?

   Also, IIRC, the codes are drawn using available space and do not
   properly reserve screen estate. That needs fixing since it can
   result in some weird looking pages.

 o I plan to make all special page/line/paragraph breaks
   selectable. In show codes mode they will be visible and they will
   be highlighted. In !show codes mode they will just be one pixel
   wide and invisible (but still editable).

   This may be post 1.0 - but more likely it's needed for completion
   of the end-of-paragraph code.

 o I also plan to make some changes to the use of attributes in the
   backend that should eventually allow us to show <font>, <bold> etc
   in the text and make those editable... Just like in WP5. This will
   also result in a leaner backend representation and possibly a small
   speedup.

   But this is post 1.0.

Comments, please.

Jesper