Re: Styles

Subject: Re: Styles
From: Randy Kramer (rhkramer@fast.net)
Date: Wed Feb 14 2001 - 06:55:01 CST

Forgive me for stating what is probably obvious to anyone reading this
list. Everything you say is correct (AFAIK), but the statement "the
character style overrides the paragraph style" might be a little
confusing to any non-programmers reading your note.

A character style will override the character style attributes specified
in the paragraph style, but will not affect the "non-character"
attributes of the paragraph style (like indentation, line spacing, lines
before or after, and the named paragraph style (or the outline level
;-). (And, this is what programmers would expect based on your
statement, since the character style does not include paragraph style
attributes.)

For example: Assume Header 1 is specified as bold, 14 pt. Arial, all
caps, indented 0.5", single spaced, 12 points before and after (the
"paragraph"), (and outline Level 1 ;-).

Then apply a new character style (ExtraBig), which is 18 pt. Arial,
bold, underlined, all caps.

The style of the paragraph will still be Header 1, indented 0.5", single
spaced, 12 points before and after (and outline Level 1), but the
characters will be displayed (and printed) as 18 pt. Arial, bold,
underlined, all caps.

The named style displayed in the Word style combobox for any character
or selection of characters (up to and including the entire paragraph)
will be ExtraBig. If the cursor is within the paragraph, but not
selecting anything, then the style is displayed as Header 1.

(Note: Description is based on behavior in Word97.)

Randy Kramer