Re: OS/FS nitpickin'

Subject: Re: OS/FS nitpickin'
From: Sam TH (sam@uchicago.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 14 2001 - 16:43:58 CST

On Wed, Feb 14, 2001 at 04:34:58PM -0600, Eric W. Sink wrote:

I would just like to point out one ironic element here: both Mike and
Eric's mails were sent by that bastion of Open Source development,
Microsoft Outlook. :)

> However, insofar as there actually is a distinction which matters,
> AbiSource was definitely created by Open Source people, not by
> Free Software people. In fact, the name itself belies this. The
> term "AbiSource" is constructed by concatenating "Abi", the first
> three letters of the Spanish word for "open", with the word "Source".

Now that's neat. :)

However, it should be noted that the project now has a much more Free
Software feel to it than it did when it was created. Not that that
actually means anything at all.

> More recently, I have decided to convey more respect for the
> opinions of those who see the distinctions as relevant. In fact, I
> have even come to see the distinction as useful. It helps me express
> the fact that Free Software just doesn't interest me very much, but
> Open Source remains a truly interesting concept. I still get
> fussy when these two camps see such an obvious need to work divisively.
> The overlap is much, much greater than the intersection. Anybody
> who thinks otherwise is going out of their way to disagree.
>
> And BTW, I consider the GPL to *definitely* be in the realm of the
> overlap, not the intersection.

I think everyone agrees on that (At least, I hope so).

        sam th
        sam@uchicago.edu
        http://www.abisource.com/~sam/
        GnuPG Key: