Re: dogfood feedback (LONG)

Subject: Re: dogfood feedback (LONG)
From: Martin Sevior (msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Thu Feb 15 2001 - 21:59:25 CST

On Thu, 15 Feb 2001, Paul Rohr wrote:

> 3. If you select a portion of an existing list, this indents the whole
> thing. I expected only the selected paragraphs to move -- even if that
> means making them become a new list.

I explicitly put this in. I thought it was what was wanted. You can indent
a whole list structure this way. ie

1.
2. | <--- cursor here
   2.1
   2.2
       2.3

pressing indent moves everything 0.5 inches to the right.

I like this behaviour...

Maybe if the user selects a range containing the list, just the range gets
indented.

> 4. If you select a range of paragraphs with differing left margins, and try
> to indent them, they should all be indented one level more. Instead, we
> currently crash.

This should be fixed. I'll do it.

> This is due to a UI subtlety that most folks miss on first glance. Both
> FV_View::getBlockFormat() and FV_View::getCharFormat() only return
> properties which are the same across the entire range. (This is not a bug
> -- to see why, play around with the bold button when selecting ranges which
> are only partially bold.)
>
> Thus, when the logic here doesn't get a property for the entire span, a
> slightly more complex algorithm is needed. Each block in the selection
> needs to be adjusted separately, since the margins differ at least once.

Thanks for the heads up on this Paul. It's easy to fix.

Martin