Re: building on windows very very odd

Subject: Re: building on windows very very odd
From: Tom Briggs (tom@sane.com)
Date: Sun Feb 18 2001 - 18:34:24 CST

> It seems really weird to me that to build an open source project i have
> to buy an expensive proprietary IDE from Mircosoft

    This question is completely irrelevant to the discussion of AbiWord, but I
have to ask: why? You need to buy an expensive proprietary operating system
to run AbiWord for Windows on Windows...
   Most (all?) open source projects I've worked on that support Windows
expect you to build with MSVC compilers, because everyone I know compiling
anything on Windows uses MSVC (as they say, when in Rome...)

> is there a workaround?
> how hard would it be to change this?

   I think that it should be possible without too much work. I even believe
that somone (a year or more ago now) worked things out so that you could
compile Abi with mingw (or some other non-MSVC compiler; check the Makefiles
for which one). I've wanted to get the free Borland compilers working with
Abi for a long time, but I've had other more important things hold me up.

   If I may steal a line from (I belive) Paul Rohr: are you volunteering? :)

   -Tom