Re: [Release] 0.7.13 is ready to go

Subject: Re: [Release] 0.7.13 is ready to go
From: Sam TH (sam@uchicago.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 20 2001 - 09:51:23 CST

On Tue, Feb 20, 2001 at 04:32:32PM +0100, Jesper Skov wrote:

> >> hard coding of libstdc++-libc6.1-2.so.3? =20 I have
> >> /usr/lib/libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2 in RH 6.2.
>
> I don't get that. RH7.

Ok, both problems found.

The shared library problem:

This is because RH6.2 (and earlier systems) shipped with GCC 2.91.x
(or other egcs versions) These provide the libraries that Martin
had. Newer distributions ship with 2.95.2 (or 2.96, in the case of
RH7). This provides the libraries that the version I provided was
linked against.

There isn't a solution to this problem, since most systems won't have
both sets available (and old systems certainly won't have the new sets
available). Actually, new systems do have the old libs, but not the
development versions, which are neccessary to build software that runs
on the old versions.

I'll see if I can manage to install the older devel packages on
parsons, and if so, it will all work. However, if not, then we will
just have to build two versions.

The GTK problem:

This is most likely a result of the GTK upgrade that happend on
parsons when I installed a bunch of GNOME libs (so that it could host
GNOME tinderbox). The change has been reverted, and after I look for
old libstdc++ libs, I'll rebuild the binaries.

        sam th
        sam@uchicago.edu
        http://www.abisource.com/~sam/
        GnuPG Key: