commit: xap_UnixFont.h/cpp et al. (slowly getting there)

Subject: commit: xap_UnixFont.h/cpp et al. (slowly getting there)
From: Tomas Frydrych (tomas@frydrych.uklinux.net)
Date: Tue Feb 20 2001 - 12:25:36 CST

I have added code for auto-generation of missing afm files from
pfa/pfb fonts, using pfa2afm utility placed in src/tool/pfa2afm (this
required some small changes to ttf2t42 as well to avoid object
conflicts). However, if the vendor provides both the font and the afm
file, we should use the latter, since the vendor-specific file might
include more information than the one we generate. For instance
the generated file does not contain kerning information (which we
do not make use of at the moment, but probably will one day).

We are now ready to implement the 'Install Font' dialogue, but I will
leave that to someone else :-).

Also, after consultation with Vlad, I have changed the way
encoding vector is loaded. Previously we looked for u2g file with
name identical to that of the font, and if we did not find it we loaded
generic adobe encoding vector; now if we do not find u2g file for the
specific font, we look for a file called locale.u2g in the same
directory, before loading the generic adobe encoding. This adds
greater flexibility for non-latin1 locales. The generic adobe files are
now always looked for in the ABI_LIBDIR/fonts directory, so there
is no further need to symlink them to the locale-specific directories.

src/UnixFont.txt and src/UnixLocales.txt were updated to reflect
the changes.

Tomas

tomas@frydrych.net / www.frydrych.net
PGP keys: http://www.frydrych.net/contact.html