Re: Abiword 0.7.12 bombs after Slackware upgrade

Subject: Re: Abiword 0.7.12 bombs after Slackware upgrade
From: Ron Ross (ronross@colba.net)
Date: Tue Feb 20 2001 - 22:18:28 CST

Martin Sevior <msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au> writes:

> HI Ron,
> Sorry to hear about your troubles. It's almost certainly
> caused by incompatible libaries. Your best bet for getting Abi
> to work quickly is to compile your own. It is quite easy really.

Great, thanks for the info on installing from source. I see that 0.7.13
is nearly out, and also notice that this is quite an active list -- an
encouraging sign. Abiword is a nifty little word processor. It's often
come in useful for creating cross-plaform intermediate files as I switch
from Linux to Windows. Thanks to all.

I was hoping that my post would have provided some clue as to exactly
which libraries are causing the problem with my Slackware installation.
In the trace output, I noticed some GTK warnings about locale not being
supported, and also noticed that this has recently been an issue on the
list. My recent upgrades did not include Gtk or Gnome ('haven't got
there yet), but for quite some time I've noticed practically the same
warning show up on the console when exiting an X session in which I used
Gnome apps (or see it there if I switch to it with Ctl-Alt-F1 while in
X).

Anyway, I'll post the results of compiling from source if there's
anything to report.

Ron