Re: Mentoring open source programmers

Subject: Re: Mentoring open source programmers
From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Thu Feb 22 2001 - 14:16:28 CST

At 01:19 AM 2/22/01 -0800, Michael D. Crawford wrote:
>Note that cross-platform development combined with rigorous validation
>tools like this can make your code extremely robust - you'll catch a bug on
>one platform with one tool that would have been hard to find on a different
>platform with another tool. You've probably experienced by now that
>changing platform makes a latent bug more apparent; now imagine that you're
>sweeping through you're bugs with different kinds of sieves on the
>different platforms.

This is an excellent point. We've already had a lot of experience using a
variety of compilers to help spiff up our code. Adding various testing
tools will be even better.

>Lately I've been working on a Mac debugging contract. I hadn't done much
>direct Mac OS API stuff for a while (I did write a product for the Mac last
>year, but it was written to the ZooLib cross-platform framework). It
>brings back a lot of good memories, and while I have strayed far from the
>fold since the days I bled in six colors, I'm really getting back into it.
>
>What that means to you is Real Soon Now I'll be doing some debugging on the
>Mac port of AbiWord. If things work out OK with the work I'm doing now,
>I'll be buying a dual G4 533 Mhz Mac, so doing things like Spotlight
>debugging on AbiWord will actually be a reasonable thing to do.

Cool! Welcome aboard! As Hub has already pointed out, there's more of a
need for coding than testing, but anything you can help with will be much
appreciated.

Paul,
lusting for a Mac port