Q: Location of Windows uninstaller?

Subject: Q: Location of Windows uninstaller?
From: Tom Briggs (tomabi@jules.briggs.cx)
Date: Sun Feb 25 2001 - 12:09:45 CST

   Someone late last year sent a message to the dev list stating that he
had problems during the install because the uninstallation program is
written to the WINNT directory, to which he doesn't have write
permissions. Finding this to be a valid complaint, I set out to fix his
problem. While I have the change working, I'm now seeing a different
problem, and I'm not sure what to do about it.
   Currently, the uninstallation program (askrm.exe) is stored in the
WINNT directory (as noted above, duh) *but not removed when you uninstall
Abi*. Nobody's ever noticed, I guess, because nobody ever looks at what's
in their WINNT directory (I never do, every vendor in the world throws
junk in there). By moving the uninstaller to the AbiWord program
directory, however, the uninstaller can no longer remove the installation
directory because the uninstaller is still there and still running. (All
the actual program files are removed, but the directories remain.)
   So my question is this: is it better to leave the askrm.exe file in the
WINNT directory, or to put it in the program directory and deal with the
fact that the directory tree isn't removed? Or does anybody have any idea
how to get the askrm.exe file and the AbiSuite directory tree removed
after the uninstaller is done executing?

   Does any of that make any sense? I think I've confused myself trying
to explain it. :P

   -Tom