Re: commit: List labels are UT_UCSChar's now.

Subject: Re: commit: List labels are UT_UCSChar's now.
From: Martin Sevior (msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Mon Feb 26 2001 - 06:56:03 CST

On Mon, 26 Feb 2001, Tomas Frydrych wrote:

> Hi Martin,
>
> > So how do we fix Unix? I think the time has come to ship a genuine unicode
> > font that contains characters in the range of UCS_BULLET and the various
> > Dingbat font gluphs I've been using for "triangle" "square" "circle" etc.
>
> Two comments: (1) the only unicode fonts I have been able to get
> working are ttf. First of all, unicode pfa fonts are not easy to come
> by, and second, the X server does not seem to be able to handle
> them correctly (it sees only the first 256 chars). Now, I personally
> am happy to use ttf fonts, but not everyone running AW under Unix
> will have a ttf font server, so someone will first need to find out how
> to get pfa unicode fonts to work under X.

Do you know of the stix project?

http://www.ams.org/STIX/

I haven't had time to fully investigate these yet but I thought we might
be able to use them.

> (2) you can only really take advantage of unicode font under utf-8
> locale; under a 8-bit locale you can only access the characters
> that are contained in the locale charset -- you would need to
> disable the remapping for the bullets and draw the bullets using the
> same mechanism that the utf-8 locale uses (see
> GR_UnixGraphics::drawChar), but loading a large Unicode font for
> this might be an overkill.

Very true. I was hoping we could have a small subset of interesting fonts
for bullets and Dingbats type symbols.

If this doesn't work out I suggest we implement a remapping table to map
the correct unicode glyphs to our Symbol and Dingbat fonts. I think its
the only way we can maintain XP compatibility of various interesting
bullet type symbols.

> Other possible solution would be to store internally the unicode
> values, but carry out translation to the codepoint in our symbol and
> dingbat fonts to draw these (which I think Vlad mentioned in one of
> his recent emails). While I was initially very much in favour of
> converting the symbols an bullets internally to unicode, I am
> beginning to have doubts about it, for it does not seem to offer any
> advantage (perhaps I am missing something), but would mean
> plenty of work.

I *think* we have the infrastructure in place to this should we not find a
good set of Type 1 unicode fonts.

Should this not work out my own personal preference would be to use ttf
fonts and require that abi be used with ttf font server on Unix. Xfree
supports this so other X implementations should too.

Cheers

Martin