FAQ -- how we identify locales

Subject: FAQ -- how we identify locales
From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Wed Feb 28 2001 - 17:44:00 CST

The following note was inspired by noticing that we have a translation in
the tree which ostensibly reflects how Welsh is spoken in Cyprus. :-)
It's an easy mistake to make (cy-CY instead of cy-GB), but hopefully the
following URLs will help prevent similar amusement in the future...

We identify locales using language tags as described in RFC 3066:

  http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3066.txt

This corresponds to the usual XML/HTML means of identifying locales:

  http://www.w3.org/International/O-HTML-tags.html

ISO 639 and 3166 are here:

  http://lcweb.loc.gov/standards/iso639-2/termcodes.html
  http://www.din.de/gremien/nas/nabd/iso3166ma/codlstp1/en_listp1.html

Useful mappings to charsets and platform representations:

  http://www.w3.org/International/O-charset-lang.html
  http://www.unicode.org/unicode/onlinedat/languages.html

Enjoy!

Paul