comparison -- other locales (without dictionaries)

Subject: comparison -- other locales (without dictionaries)
From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Wed Feb 28 2001 - 18:19:26 CST

As mentioned in a prior note, here's a current comparison of the translation
status for a wide variety of locales which do *not* have a corresponding
ispell dictionary.

This may look like a depressingly long list, but we're actually doing quite
well, considering the fact that we've never actively evangelized our need
for translators. In fact, the set of key locales that we're still missing
(tr-TR, ar, eu, hr, sk, th) is quite small.

While other prominent Open Source projects have translations for desktop
locales we don't yet support, there actually aren't that many of those,
either. Most of the remainder are in the "9 - just people, no product"
stage still.

Latin-1                        KDE GNOME Moz  Abi  Star MSFT

-------                        --- ----- ---  ---  ---- ----

eu      Basque                  3    3                   4

en-CA   English - Canada                  1

gd-GB   Scots                             1

gl-ES   Gallegan                3    2    9    1

id-ID   Indonesian              9         3    1

is      Icelandic               1    3    9

Latin-2

-------

hu-HU   Hungarian               1    1    9    1         2

hr      Croatian                2    3    1              4

sk      Slovak                  1    1    1              4

Cyrillic

--------

bg-BG   Bulgarian               3    3    1

mk      Macedonian              2

sr      Serbian                 2    3    1

Mediterranean

-------------

tr-TR   Turkish                 1    1    9              2

BiDi

----

ar      Arabic                  9         9              3

Baltic

------

lt-LT   Lithuanian              3    3    9    1

lv      Latvian                 3

et      Estonian                1    3    9

Other

-----

th      Thai                    4         2              4

cy-GB   Welsh Cymraeg           4         1    1

ms-MY   Malay Bahasa Melayu               1

bs-BA   Bosnian                 9         2

ta      Tamil                   3    2

az      Azerbaijani                  2

bo      Tibetan                 9

br      Breton                  4

gu      Gujarati                9

hi      Hindi                   9

km      Khmer                   9

mi      Maori                   3

mr      Marathi                 9

oc      Occitan                 3

wa-BE   Walloon                 4    3

        Asturian                          9

        Bengali                           9

        Cherokee                          9

        Georgian                          9

        Hawaiian                          9

        Plautdietsch                      9

        Vietnamese                   9    9

        Yiddish                           9

It's really cool to imagine speakers of all these languages using our code!

Paul