Re: Latest Updated TODO Before the release

Subject: Re: Latest Updated TODO Before the release
From: David Chart (linux@dchart.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sun Jul 01 2001 - 06:27:46 CDT

--On Sunday, July 01, 2001 13:33:19 +1000 Martin Sevior
<msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au> wrote:

>> > 6) Ispell (Translators!!!!)
>> > - Collect working hashfiles and put them in an easily distributable
>> > place - Make sure that it works
>> > - Create other system.profile's
>

> Lots of great progress here. This basically works.

Not on PPC. BigEndian.american.hash has the wrong magic number (0x4100
instead of 0x9602). So, no proofing at all on PPC. This is probably because
BigEndian is still 100/26 rather than 128/52.

>> > 12) Possibly integrate help-files soon-ish in the abiword-docs module
>>

> David should give us an update here.

We have a nearly complete set of menu files, and we can complete them by
the end of the week. (There are few enough left that I can do them all if
necessary.) I've started converting the files to html, but while the
excellent XHTML export makes this a lot faster, it doesn't make it instant.
(Most of the required changes need an intelligent agent, as well, so even
if I could write perl they wouldn't script.)

So: for 0.9.0 we will have a complete set of .abw help files for the menus.
We may have XHTML versions of the same.

> Yes, we need releaase notes and a compilation of places to inform for this
> very important release.
>
> Volenteers? We should certainly itterate the release notes.

Release notes sounds like a documentation thing. I'll take this, but I'll
be away Friday, Saturday, and most of Sunday. Mind you, this can't be
finished until we've actually decided what's in and out of the release,
which looks like it will be happening next weekend. Anyway, I'll get
started.

Do we want notes for people upgrading from 0.7.14, people new to Abi with
this release, or both? (Upgraders don't need to know about unlimited undo,
new people don't need to know about performance increases. So probably
both.)

> Some people we should definately inform at release time include:
>
> slashdot, freshmeat, gnotices, linuxtoday, linux Weekly news, ZDNet,
> download.com, TUcows, cnet, QNX sites?, MAC sites, other Win download
> sites.

www.macintouch.com should be notified with an appeal for hackers to finish
the port. Macintouch is where I found out about Abi.

> Maybe as well as release notes we should also have a shorter advertising
> blurb announcing the first AbiWord beta which a summary of the features
> available.

Yes, we should. I'll do one of these are well.

David Chart