Re: Copyright of Modified Ispell Code

Subject: Re: Copyright of Modified Ispell Code
From: Alan (horkana@tcd.ie)
Date: Fri Jul 06 2001 - 11:04:22 CDT

> Understood WRT Mozilla, but isn't OpenOffice under the GPL? And last I
> heard, Mozilla was transitioning to the GPL too. (And why does Mozilla
> need a spellchecker anyway, it's a web browser for !@#$'s sake.)

Mail: emails need to be spell checked
Composer: web pages need to be spell checked

When programs are dually licensed under the GPL and something else, the
GPL can funk up the other license.

> Dynamically linking Ispell with LGPL'd software is fine. Statically -
> I'm not sure.

That must be fine or Abiword is in a world of trouble, because the
Windows build is one big (entirely static) binary.

> > Since the only person mentioned in the advertising clause is Geoff, perhaps
> > we can get him to wave the use of his name for non-profit projects like ours.
> > I don't think anyone would have a problem with saying just:

by all means ask, but i don't see why Abiword cant just simply respect
the license, its not like the Advertising has to be emblazoned in huge
blinking letters, it can be discretely included in the About Dialogue.
but wait, further reading of the thread...

> modest to point out that the advertising clause is incompatible with
> the GPL (which prohibutes additional restrictions), but it is.

RMS really doesnt like the BSD "obnoxious advertising clause" (sic)
its unfortunate that the GPL is incompatible with give people credit
where it is due.

But thats a moot point anyhow, Nice of him to remove the advertising
clause, someone really should add him to the Abiword Credits.txt file.

--
Pinky, are you pondering what I’m pondering?
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?