Re: Copyright of Modified Ispell Code

Subject: Re: Copyright of Modified Ispell Code
From: Rui Miguel Seabra (rms@greymalkin.yi.org)
Date: Sat Jul 07 2001 - 11:41:35 CDT

On Fri, Jul 06, 2001 at 05:04:22PM +0100, Alan wrote:
> > Dynamically linking Ispell with LGPL'd software is fine. Statically -
> > I'm not sure.

You got it the wrong way!

If ispell is lgpl, any software can dynamicly link with it.

Otherwise... static or dynamic linking have the same absolute effect, since the code will run under the same userspace. That is past discussion.

I thought ispell was (at least) gpl compatible. if it is not, then we must revise its usage and ideally drop it.

I tried to download ispell-3.2.04 and check its license, but I couldn't find it, so its either completely free (which I doubpt) or then it is probably MIT Public License or BSD .... In either case, I think we have to drop it.

Hugs, rms