Re: Release/Tree closing

Subject: Re: Release/Tree closing
From: Martin Sevior (msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Thu Jul 12 2001 - 02:14:45 CDT

On Wed, 11 Jul 2001, Joaquin Cuenca Abela wrote:

> --- Dom Lachowicz <dominicl@seas.upenn.edu> wrote:
> >
> > Mike's bug could be Win32 specific or specific to
> > Mike's computer. It isn't
> > reproducible on Unix. But that's beside the point.
>
> nope, I reproduce it. I've using my sister computer,
> and I've just compiled the windows version, and run a
> little speed test between msword and abiword (we loose
> by little, we get 92% of msword speed, but the test
> was not very complete, I just wanted to get a rough
> approximation).
>
> The sad thing is that the repaint was completely
> broken. It's was a major pain to use abi (I was only
> seeing the first line of each paragraph, except when
> you change the size of abi's window).
>
> I vote to hold 0.9.0 until (at least) that gets fixed.
> (It's *really* unusable)

OK, could people who do win builds might like to try this. I put in some
code to speed up scrolling by limiting the requncy of redrawUpdates
following a lineup/line-down command. Anyway try commenting out these
lines in fl_DocLayout.cpp as a quick a dirty way that might fix the
problem.

//
// Check if we've been asked to wait for a while..
//
// UT_uint32 skip = pDocLayout->getSkipUpdates();
// if(skip > 0)
// {
// skip--;
// pDocLayout->setSkipUpdates(skip);
// return;
// }
//

These are lines 1299 - 1311 and this is in method:
void FL_DocLayout::_redrawUpdate(UT_Timer * pTimer).

Just a thought. This code works perfectly on Unix so there must be
something screwy happenning. In my experience this sometimes comes from
weird timer probllems so....

Cheers

Martin