Re: Weird About behaviour and some Open Source rehashing

Subject: Re: Weird About behaviour and some Open Source rehashing
From: Alan (horkana@tcd.ie)
Date: Fri Jul 13 2001 - 07:23:03 CDT

i prefer to use the term Freedom Software with legacy support for the
term Free(dom) Software.
"i programmer not a linguist Jim"

Mike Nordell wrote:
> We _are_ a Free Software project, and as such we should IMO be _proud_ of
> it, not trying to hide it behind some ESR "Open Source" mumbo-jumbo.

The Gnu and FSF are very important. I suggest we include both. (If you
want to Transtlate all the text labels for thirty languages then go
right ahead, i dont want to through away work already done).
I dont think we should drop the Open Source bit becuase Abiword was
started by a company and although currently run by volunteers there are
a few keeping that fire smouldering. Abiword really is an Open Source
project, and some of the developers such as yourself feel very strongly
about Free Software.

> IMO we should change the About menu text to "Free Software". Then the local

How about we change the About dialog? Make it bigger, make it
localisable. Mention Free Software (embed a link in the dialogue) and
Open Source (link). Mention "devloped by" and add a link to the
CREDITS.TXT file which is noteably absent from the windows dist.

> HTML-page should *explain* the difference between Free Software and Open
> Source, telling the reader that Free Software _defends your freedom, now and

no harm in that at all.

> forever_, while Open Source is just... Well, it's Open Source. This also

open source it a methodology, its a clue-stick to beat business people
with.
free software is a philosophy a religion (<shudder>St.
Ignutious</shudder>) and it is part of a greater plan.
Mocking Open Source does not help Free Software.

> goes for the web-sites copy (if it's still there), it should be changed to
> _not_ trying to display AbiWord as some half-hearted Open Source software.
> IMO it would only hurt us in the end, trying to please the masses and
> pissing of the ones that knows the difference.

> AbiWord is Free Software and I'm proud of that!

It was Open Source software first though, and for a long time.

> IIRC I was met with rather harsh arguments by a former SourceGear dude the
> last time I brought this to light. Argument was "people don't know the term
> Free Software", but this time I will in no way fold. If people don't know;

# FLAME ON: Contraversial!
If it was really free it would not use the GPL and allow anyone, even
evil incarnate to use it. Turn the other cheek
(keep any flame replies offlist)