Re: Weird About behaviour and some Open Source rehashing

Subject: Re: Weird About behaviour and some Open Source rehashing
From: Mike Nordell (tamlin@algonet.se)
Date: Fri Jul 13 2001 - 08:42:47 CDT

Alan wrote:
> The Gnu and FSF are very important. I suggest we include both.
> (If you want to Transtlate all the text labels for thirty languages
> then go right ahead, i dont want to through away work already done).

I think I can hold myself, at least for the 0.9 release. :-)

> I dont think we should drop the Open Source bit becuase Abiword was
> started by a company and although currently run by volunteers there are
> a few keeping that fire smouldering. Abiword really is an Open Source
> project, and some of the developers such as yourself feel very strongly
> about Free Software.

Even that it was started by a company, and the credits to those people I
can't express enough, it _is_ Free Software. You can't say that GPL is Open
Source!

Yes, AbiWord is open source in a sense. Of course. But AbiWord is free
software which is also much more than open source.

I believe/hope most of us feel and know the difference between open source
and free software.

> > IMO we should change the About menu text to "Free Software".
>
> How about we change the About dialog? Make it bigger, make it
> localisable.

Not bigger (if not needed), but surely I'd go for "localizable".

> Mention Free Software (embed a link in the dialogue) and
> Open Source (link). Mention "devloped by" and add a link to the
> CREDITS.TXT file which is noteably absent from the windows dist.

Actually, I think I have a GPL Win32 thingie that adds a clickable link! :-)
I'll have to look into that.

[...]
> open source it a methodology, its a clue-stick to beat business
>people with.

Often it is, but should we continue to display ignorance to the users of the
software by not telling them the whole truth?

> free software is a philosophy a religion (<shudder>St.
> Ignutious</shudder>) and it is part of a greater plan.

On my part it's a "philosophy". But it's still part of a "greater plan".

> Mocking Open Source does not help Free Software.

I wasn't suggesting we'd mock it. I just wanted to once and for all make it
clear that AbiWord is Free Software. Perhaps just tell that "Free Software
enforces your freedoms, Open Source just gives you the code"?

> > AbiWord is Free Software and I'm proud of that!
>
> It was Open Source software first though, and for a long time.

Perhaps it wasn't GPL in the beginning, can't say since I wasn't around when
it was born. But apparently something convinced them to GPL it.

> # FLAME ON: Contraversial!

GPL is controversial in some camps. Nevertheless, it's the license we use.

> If it was really free it would not use the GPL and allow anyone, even
> evil incarnate to use it. Turn the other cheek
> (keep any flame replies offlist)

Well, yes. But then it wouldn't enforce _your_ freedoms, which is what makes
the GPL so great, and by that it wouldn't be free (for you).

/Mike