Re: Strange definitions of 'min' and 'max' macros

Subject: Re: Strange definitions of 'min' and 'max' macros
From: Joaquin Cuenca Abela (e98cuenc@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Jul 15 2001 - 09:44:32 CDT

--- Mike Nordell <tamlin@algonet.se> wrote:
> ev_Menu_Labels.cpp define these macros, though it
> doesn't _use_ them
> anywhere.
>
> ev_Menu_Layouts.cpp defines them, and (perhaps even
> worse) uses one of them.
>
> Does anyone know why they were added as _macros_ and
> not inline static
> functions? Perhaps even more important: why they
> were named the same as std
> C++ min/max?
>
> Id like to remove them from ev_Menu_Labels.cpp, and
> in ev_Menu_Layouts.cpp
> remove "min" (since it's never used) and replace
> "max" with an inline static
> function (like the "priv_max" in ut_stringbuf.cpp).
>
> Sure, I could quitely have done this and just posted
> a commit message, but
> what fun would that have been, not providing any
> education? :-)

just a short note...
even if I'm all for removing when it's possible the
use of the preprocessor, I've changed a bit my mind
about min/max after reading Meyer's challenge:

http://aristeia.com/Papers/C++ReportColumns/jan95.pdf

and Alexandrescu reply:

http://www.cuj.com/experts/1904/alexandr.htm?topic=experts

(Andrei's reply it's excellent, but Loki it's yet a no
no in "portable" projects)

That said, please, change these macros!
:-)

Cheers,