Re: localization formats proposal

Subject: Re: localization formats proposal
From: Andrew Dunbar (hippietrail@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Jul 16 2001 - 23:03:49 CDT

 --- Karl Ove Hufthammer <huftis@bigfoot.com> wrote: >
må 16 jul 2001 05:22:46, Andrew Dunbar
> <hippietrail@yahoo.com>:
>
> > One locale-related item seems to have been left
> out
> > of this discussion so far. That is spell
> checking.
>
> That's language-dependant, not locale-depandant.
> Language != locale.

Of course but locale does indicate language.
en-US indicates American English and en-AU indicates
Australian English. There is no problem making such
an assumption ever.

> > If we're going to have a comma separated list of
> > fallback locales, spelling would benefit from this
> > too.
>
> I strongly disagree. Having this would IMO be a bug.
> Having
> 'colour' marked as incorrect when I'm writing
> British with no
> British dictionary installed is a bug. If a
> dictionary for a
> language isn't installed, text written in this
> language shouldn't
> be spell-checked (since it can't be!). (This is also
> how this
> works in other word processors.)

Of course. I agree. But if we do have American
English dictionary installed and we do have British
English dictionary installed and we are entering
Australian English, Irish English, New Zealand
English,
South African English, Canadian English, Indian
English
or Jamaican English without our own dictionary we
would all *much* prefer to at least have some way of
deciding to use the British English dictionary in lieu
of our own. In many cases dictionaries for our own
version of English simply don't seem to exist.

Maybe it shouldn't be automatic and invisible but it
shoould be a preference and it should Just Work (:

Andrew Dunbar.

=====
http://linguaphile.sourceforge.net