Re: localization formats proposal

Subject: Re: localization formats proposal
From: Karl Ove Hufthammer (huftis@bigfoot.com)
Date: Tue Jul 17 2001 - 06:22:07 CDT

ty 17 jul 2001 06:03:49, Andrew Dunbar <hippietrail@yahoo.com>:

>>> One locale-related item seems to have been left out of this
>>> discussion so far. That is spell checking.
>>
>> That's language-dependant, not locale-depandant.
>> Language != locale.
>
> Of course but locale does indicate language.
> en-US indicates American English and en-AU indicates
> Australian English.

Yes, but how spell checking works should in *no* way be dependant
on the current locale.

> But if we do have American
> English dictionary installed and we do have British
> English dictionary installed and we are entering
> Australian English, Irish English, New Zealand
> English,
> South African English, Canadian English, Indian
> English
> or Jamaican English without our own dictionary we
> would all *much* prefer to at least have some way of
> deciding to use the British English dictionary in lieu
> of our own.

This is similar to the 'special dictionaries' problem. I think the
best solution would be to let the user be able to choose
additional dictionaries for a given language (e.g. medical
dictionaries or the British dictionary for Australien English)

--
Karl Ove Hufthammer