Re: localization formats proposal

Subject: Re: localization formats proposal
From: Andrew Dunbar (hippietrail@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Jul 17 2001 - 22:46:12 CDT

 --- Karl Ove Hufthammer <huftis@bigfoot.com> wrote: >
ty 17 jul 2001 06:03:49, Andrew Dunbar

> out of this
> >>
> >> That's language-dependant, not locale-depandant.
> >> Language != locale.
> >
> > Of course but locale does indicate language.
> > en-US indicates American English and en-AU
> indicates
> > Australian English.
>
> Yes, but how spell checking works should in *no* way
> be dependant
> on the current locale.

Well there is one place. When you create a new
document and start typing, the text is marked as a
language. The language it uses is taken from the
locale. You can select blocks and change the
language but the default does come from the locale.
At least as far as I know.

> > But if we do have American
> > English dictionary installed and we do have
> British
> > English dictionary installed and we are entering
> > Australian English, Irish English, New Zealand
> > English,
> > South African English, Canadian English, Indian
> > English
> > or Jamaican English without our own dictionary we
> > would all *much* prefer to at least have some way
> of
> > deciding to use the British English dictionary in
> lieu
> > of our own.
>
> This is similar to the 'special dictionaries'
> problem. I think the
> best solution would be to let the user be able to
> choose
> additional dictionaries for a given language (e.g.
> medical
> dictionaries or the British dictionary for
> Australien English)

Not really since special dictionaries can only *add*
words. Australian English needs to *forbid* words
that are legal in American. "color", "favor",
"dialog"
and tons of others are not legal words. Your idea
may or may not work if British English is used as a
base though.

Andrew Dunbar.

=====
http://linguaphile.sourceforge.net