Re: Win32 developer snapshot

Subject: Re: Win32 developer snapshot
From: Tim (tladuca@hsc.usf.edu)
Date: Fri Jul 20 2001 - 11:44:28 CDT

Martin Sevior wrote:

>On Fri, 20 Jul 2001, Alan wrote:
>
>>Mike Nordell wrote:
>>
>>>http://www.abiword.com/~tamlin/
>>>
>>>Note that you must have msvcrtd.dll for this one. It's unfortunately not a
>>>redistributable, but I heard people got lucky using ftpsearch. :-)
>>>
>>People grabbing CVS builds off ftp sites, that sounds bad to me, do we
>>really want to encourage people to use unstable CVS builds unless they
>>are testing, and testers will get theirs from links posted on this
>>list.
>>
>>does this suggest the need for more frequent releases?
>>

>These are for testing and in fact are debug builds with lots of asserts
>and debug messages. They are certainly NOT for general use.
>
>Hopefully after 0.90 is out we can much more frequently releases. Once a
>week I hope as we squash bugs. Right now we're just waiting on the Win
>guys to finish some features before we release.
>
>I have some new snapshots of unix and gnome builds on
>
>http://seviorpc.ph.unimelb.edu.au/abiword
>
>for people to try out.
>
>The *-intl means they come with support for 20 languages built in. The
>ones without have just English spell checking.
>
>Anyway give these a whirl if you have the machines. The only bug that I
>feel motivated to fix for these before the release is printing of colored
>text in gnome-print.
>
>Otherwise I'd be very happy to ship these right now.
>
>Cheers
>
>Martin

OK, maybe I'm a dumbbutt(if I am please tell me ;-) ), but I thought
DEBUG builds were only useful to developers. And I think most of the
people that want to download a snapshot are interested in it for testing
purposes(or for fixed bugz), ala the linux nightly's. So I recommend
taking down the debug build and putting up a non-debug build. This will
be great for getting more Windows bug reports(which DOM is wishing for)
and with the DEBUG build flying around we are going to get a lot of bugs
filed that are really just due to DEBUG code. I just made one from CVS
last night if you want to use that one.(It's on the web right now, but
I'd rather not say where unless you guys approve)

Regards,
TimL