Re: localization formats proposal

Subject: Re: localization formats proposal
From: Andrew Dunbar (hippietrail@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Jul 20 2001 - 22:55:10 CDT

 --- Martin Sevior
<msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au> wrote: >

> On Fri, 20 Jul 2001, [iso-8859-1] Andrew Dunbar
> wrote:
>

> > What it boils down to is that we ship with the
> > American hash but not the British hash. I
> strongly
> > feel the British hash has much more widespread use
> in
> > all but one English speaking country as a
> reasonable
> > stand-in for our own English dialects - which seem
> not
> > to have ispell/pspell dictionaries available.
> > A good fix would be something roughly like this:
> > * Ship with both American and British
> dicitonaries.
> > (Or have a package including British instead)
> > * Implement a "Just Works" mechanism that allows
> > en-** users to spellcheck documents with a
> "close
> > enough" dictionary instead of having no
>
> We do this already. I have really nice screen shot
> of text marked American
> and British with the spell check "color colour"
> marked in error the
> correct way for each language.

Yes this is way cool but last I checked we were only
*shipping* with one dictionary - the American one.
Please correct me if this has changed lately.

> > spellchecking
> > (as it is now), or marking the document as some
> > other language/dialect just to get
> spellchecking.
> > * Figure out how this really should relate to our
> > locale system, options dialog, etc.
>
> I don't understand. We have en_AU en_BR locales now.
> IS this a Windows
> thing?

This is the exact problem. We have the locales but we
don't have the spelling dictionaries for them!
People who use only the most standard locales don't
"get" how frustrating this is for the rest of us.
We want to be able to check our spelling too (:

Andrew Dunbar.

=====
http://linguaphile.sourceforge.net