Re: localization formats proposal

Subject: Re: localization formats proposal
From: Andrew Dunbar (hippietrail@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Jul 20 2001 - 22:59:30 CDT

 --- Hubert Figuiere <hfiguiere@teaser.fr> wrote: >
According to Andrew Dunbar <hippietrail@yahoo.com>:

> > What it boils down to is that we ship with the
> > American hash but not the British hash. I
> strongly
> > feel the British hash has much more widespread use
> in
> > all but one English speaking country as a
> reasonable
> > stand-in for our own English dialects - which seem
> not
> > to have ispell/pspell dictionaries available.
>
> We provide en-US hash by default. The abispell

This is what *really* annoys us non-Americans (:

> module that will be packaged
> too will provide the other hashes, including
> british, french, and enven
> lithuanian :-)
>
> BTW if the packager want to make a different version
> and provide a different
> hash, it is up to him.

They're usually guilty of the "Everybody is American"
syndrome too ):

> In fact I think we should encourage UNIX packager to
> not provide a hash
> within AbiSuite but depend on one of the hash
> packages, whatever language it
> is. We can do this in Debian surely, a probably in
> RPM.
>
> Example:
> abisuite depends on abispellhash
> abispellhash-british provide abispellhash
> abispellhash-french provide abispellhash
>
> Install your hash, then pick AbiSuite :-)

This is an absolutely fantastic idea and I'm 100% in
favour of it!

(I still want to be able to check my en-AU spelling
with the en-GB dicitonary though)

Andrew Dunbar.

=====
http://linguaphile.sourceforge.net