Re: localization formats proposal

Subject: Re: localization formats proposal
From: Karl Ove Hufthammer (huftis@bigfoot.com)
Date: Fri Jul 20 2001 - 05:10:21 CDT

fr 20 jul 2001 05:17:25, Andrew Dunbar <hippietrail@yahoo.com>:

> No we don't do this but I feel the need to rant
> against it once in a while in case somebody might
> think it's a good idea.

:)

> What it boils down to is that we ship with the
> American hash but not the British hash. I strongly
> feel the British hash has much more widespread use in
> all but one English speaking country as a reasonable
> stand-in for our own English dialects - which seem not
> to have ispell/pspell dictionaries available.
> A good fix would be something roughly like this:
> * Ship with both American and British dicitonaries.
> (Or have a package including British instead)

Or ship with none, so that users can download the dictionaries
they need. There could be a link to each dictionary on the
download page. (This will also reduce the size of the installer,
which is a good thing. And people who use ispell or have
downloaded AbiWord previously will already have the necessary
dictionaries.)

--
Karl Ove Hufthammer