Re: localization formats proposal

Subject: Re: localization formats proposal
From: Dom Lachowicz (dominicl@seas.upenn.edu)
Date: Mon Jul 23 2001 - 08:24:07 CDT

Quoting Andrew Dunbar <hippietrail@yahoo.com>:

> > BTW if the packager want to make a different version
> > and provide a different
> > hash, it is up to him.
>
> They're usually guilty of the "Everybody is American"
> syndrome too ):

We can only go so far. We aren't guilty of the "Everybody is American" syndrome
here at all, IMNSHO. Thomas and I have done quite a bit of work on ispell and
pspell to make them support multiple languages. We've added language tags to the
text so that people can differentiate languages or a per-word basis. We've added
many system.profile files so that things "just work" in different people's
locales (Units, dictionaries, etc...). We've collected about 20 different ispell
dictionaries for use in about 30 different locales. And yes, I am American.

With this release, our ispell hash files will be downloadable by everyone.
Martin has been doing pre-releases with all of the ispell dictionaries
installed. There are docs in CVS to explain all of this to users and to developers.

What more do you want?

> (I still want to be able to check my en-AU spelling
> with the en-GB dicitonary though)

Install british.hash and you can! In your case, it's as easy as just starting
AbiWord.

Dom