Re: localization formats proposal

Subject: Re: localization formats proposal
From: Andrew Dunbar (hippietrail@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Jul 24 2001 - 00:53:01 CDT

 --- Dom Lachowicz <dominicl@seas.upenn.edu> wrote: >
Quoting Andrew Dunbar <hippietrail@yahoo.com>:

> > > BTW if the packager want to make a different
> version
> > > and provide a different
> > > hash, it is up to him.
> >
> > They're usually guilty of the "Everybody is
> American"
> > syndrome too ):
>
> We can only go so far. We aren't guilty of the
> "Everybody is American" syndrome
> here at all, IMNSHO. Thomas and I have done quite a
> bit of work on ispell and
> pspell to make them support multiple languages.
> We've added language tags to the
> text so that people can differentiate languages or a
> per-word basis. We've added
> many system.profile files so that things "just work"
> in different people's
> locales (Units, dictionaries, etc...). We've
> collected about 20 different ispell
> dictionaries for use in about 30 different locales.
> And yes, I am American.
>
> With this release, our ispell hash files will be
> downloadable by everyone.
> Martin has been doing pre-releases with all of the
> ispell dictionaries
> installed. There are docs in CVS to explain all of
> this to users and to developers.
>
> What more do you want?

Sorry I didn't mean to imply that AbiWord suffered
from this. We are one of the best at avoiding it.
I only meant to say that in my experience, the vast
majority of software and software packagers are
guilty.
You guys deserve congratulations - not whining (:

> > (I still want to be able to check my en-AU
> spelling
> > with the en-GB dicitonary though)
>
> Install british.hash and you can! In your case, it's
> as easy as just starting
> AbiWord.

Cool! At the time this wasn't the case and people
were
arguing on the list that it should not be the case.

Andrew.

=====
http://linguaphile.sourceforge.net