Re: localization formats proposal

Subject: Re: localization formats proposal
From: Alan (horkana@tcd.ie)
Date: Sat Jul 21 2001 - 14:48:38 CDT

Andrew Dunbar wrote:
> --- Alan <horkana@tcd.ie> wrote: > Hubert Figuiere

> > As to the installer, i think the default should have
> > _Everthing_ in it

> This would be a good idea but aren't the dictionaries
> particularly *huge* ? ):

Then we also offer an abousolutely minimal installer with just en-US (no
documentation) and EXPLICTLY mark it as such, CLEARLY WARN USERS, and
display it insuch a way that the casual observer will find the default
first and not accidentally get the minimal installer.

If we want to offer custom installers then we will need to be able to
leave out components at will without breaking abi, and im holding out
for the plugins to be fully working, and i would like to be able to do
language packs (like how mozilla does it).

I also think we should use the Nullsoft installer for windows, unless
there is a very good reason to do otherwise.
ive already adapted one of the basic installer scripts and produced a
mockup, and if some one really wanted they could remove the Nullsoft
markings and resize the windows and do a quick recompile it would look
almost the same as the current installer.
If someone is willing to help me with the code tweaks id polish off the
install scripts and we could have it done in an afternoon.

Mise Le Meas
Alan