RE: Cygwin builds?

Subject: RE: Cygwin builds?
From: Tom Newton (tom.newton@convergys.com)
Date: Tue Jul 24 2001 - 11:21:50 CDT

I guess I should reply to this since I originally contributed the patch ;).
The idea of ABI_OPT_CYGWIN_UNIX switch is to build under the cygwin
environment but do a build with the UNIX front end using GTK/GLIB etc that
has been built under cygwin. What you should get out of that build should
essentially look like the linux build, i.e. you'd need an X server to run
the app etc. You shouldn't need Microsofts compiler for that build. I
thought it would be useful in two ways:

1. For developers who wanted to build/run abiword, but who mostly had
access to a windows box, but didn't have Visual C++.

2. For Windows developers who did have Visual C++ but who wanted to check
the behaviour against a UNIX platform without having to reboot their machine
into Linux.

I fell (still fall) into category 1. But unfortunately I have never had
time to maintain this weird "port" of abiword.

I have hacked a bit on the more useful goal of building a native windows app
using gcc with the -mno-cygwin option. I got a fair way, but then got
stumped and had to drop it because of other commitments.

So in summary, you should NOT set this option if you are trying to build a
native Windows variety of Abiword.

Tom

PS I guess it would make sense to get rid of this build option since it's
not being maintained.