TrueType fonts in AbiWord: Part Deux

Subject: TrueType fonts in AbiWord: Part Deux
From: Tim (tjl@141.com)
Date: Sat Jul 28 2001 - 13:09:12 CDT

Hi. The directions on our FAQ for installing TrueType fonts in AbiWord
don't appear be completely accurate. I took some "properly installed"
True Type fonts and dropped them in a new abisuite fonts folder. AbiWord
than complained that it could not read the font metrics file for times
new roman(*.afm file). Running the ttfadmin.sh script now distributed
with AbiWord does fix this, but only, it seems for certain fonts. Fonts
like Verdana and MS Trebuchet will appear on the screen fine but will
print in the default Times New Roman Font only. So unless someone tells
me I am doing something wrong, I am going to update the FAQ to reflect
this.

Also Tomas Frydrych's(I hope I got that right) instructions are no
longer accurate either. AbiWord does not "automatically install support
files". You have to manually run the ttfadmin.sh script manually on the
Abisuite/fonts directory.

Regards,
Tim

P.S. This process *DOES* work beautifully for fonts like Arial, Times
and courier. Fonts look great on screen and print perfectly WYSIWYG
AFICT.