Unix Font Manager

Subject: Unix Font Manager
From: Tomas Frydrych (tomas@frydrych.uklinux.net)
Date: Sun Mar 04 2001 - 09:00:58 CST

I would like to implement some changes to the Unix font manager,
but would appreciate your comments, objections and suggestions
before I start. This what I propose to do:

(1) Ensure that we only load pfa, pfb and ttf fonts. At the moment
we will load anything listed in the fonts.dir files.

(2) Load only fonts with encoding suitable for the current locale. If
the current locale uses iso-8859-8 encoding I propose to load only
fonts registered with iso8859-8 encoding and any fonts with
adobefontspecific encoding (because of the symbol fonts). At the
moment we load all fonts listed in the fonts.dir files. Thus when I
run under he_IL, I get two Arials, two Times, etc., listed in the
combo box, one with iso-8859-1 from the root fonts directory, and
one with iso-8859-8 from the he-IL subdirectory. Since the iso-8859-
1 are useless to me, if nothing else we are wasting resources.

(3) I am going to investigate why we create and keep two separeate
xap_UnixFont instances for each font we load, and hopefully fix
this. I would like to look at other ways of making the font loading
more efficient; at the moment loading Unicode ttf font takes ages
(in tens of seconds), and a large font, such as code2000, will
completely freeze my computer (I am not sure whether it is our
code that is responsible for this, or whether it is the X font server
that we wait for).

Tomas

tomas@frydrych.net / www.frydrych.net
PGP keys: http://www.frydrych.net/contact.html