Re: Unix Font Manager

Subject: Re: Unix Font Manager
From: Tomas Frydrych (tomas@frydrych.uklinux.net)
Date: Sun Mar 04 2001 - 10:18:16 CST

Just an addendum to the my previous email. When I said that
Hebrew and Russian cannot be displayed in the same document
under an 8-bit locale, I did not mean that this is not possbile in
principle, but that it is not possible in AW. This is because while
we store text as UCS-2, we convert all of it to the locale specific
encoding for drawing, and thus limit ourselves to the 256 chars of
that particular locale. If we want to be able to display non-native
characters under 8-bit locales using 8-bit fonts, we would have to
support fontsets, which would require quite a major rewrite of our
drawing code. (One which I do not think is worth the effort; most
people are will never venture outside of their locale and those who
need to can use utf-8 locale).

Tomas

tomas@frydrych.net / www.frydrych.net
PGP keys: http://www.frydrych.net/contact.html