RE: reminder -- eight spaces != tab

Subject: RE: reminder -- eight spaces != tab
From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Mon Mar 05 2001 - 18:16:56 CST

At 02:12 PM 3/5/01 -0800, WJCarpenter wrote:
>paul> Are you confused ... or just feeling grumpy? ;-)
>
>I am not confused and only slightly grumpy (the grumpiness comes from
>reading a coding style that thinks that mixing spaces and tabs is OK
> ... it's unambiguously the worst of the 3 possibilities).
>
>However, my point is that the language in the coding standard is
>genuinely ambiguous (and easy to fix). Complaining about lack of
>following it may be sometimes attacking a symptom instead of the
>problem.

Sorry for misspeaking.

What's the proper emacs pronunciation of the following?

  (setq c-basic-offset 4)
  (setq indent-tabs-mode t)
  (setq tab-width 4)

Besides "those MSVC heathen", I mean? ;-)

I don't mean to be glib. I'm very interested in a permanent solution for
this problem. For example, would it make life easier for emacs folks if,
instead of doing Jesper's defun abi-c-mode trick, we instead followed the
Mozilla precedent of adding something like the following as the first line
of every file?

/* -*- c-basic-offset: 4; tab-width: 4; indent-tabs-mode: t -*- */

I'd certainly have no objection to a solution like this. The experience of
editing the Abi sources should Just Work, too.

Paul