Re: insert/overwrite mode

Subject: Re: insert/overwrite mode
From: Dom Lachowicz (cinamod@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Mar 06 2001 - 10:32:12 CST

Hi,

Time for my $0.02 on this...

Hitting the Ins key should enable overwrite mode. Every other application
I've encountered in the universe behaves like this. IMHO it is not confusing
and even a desirable effect. I am very much against anything that will pop
up a dialog to say "Dear god, you hit the Ins key. Did you mean that?" or
even disable the key. You do this and I commit that "paperclip" code that I
have lying around on my HD :) We need to make things useful and
non-consufing for the user but we should not second guess their motives.

One might be able to convince me with enabling/disabling this with a
preference item, provided that it is initially off. But I think that even
that is doubtful. The "Ins|Ovr" in the status bar is a good way to indicate
the change, and really isn't as obscure are you think.

Secretaries (even church secretaries) know how to type and know what this
key does.

Dom