Re: insert/overwrite mode

Subject: Re: insert/overwrite mode
From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Tue Mar 06 2001 - 11:56:47 CST

At 11:32 AM 3/6/01 -0500, Dom Lachowicz wrote:
>One might be able to convince me with enabling/disabling this with a
>preference item, provided that it is initially off. But I think that even
>that is doubtful. The "Ins|Ovr" in the status bar is a good way to indicate
>the change, and really isn't as obscure are you think.

Agreed. The current implementation Just Works, as expected.

Anyone who wants to turn this behavior off has been able to update their
prefs file to do so since the day this feature was added to the tree.
(You're welcome.)

The only debate now should be whether to reflect that preference to the
dialog. If so, then the default behavior we ship should be that the Ins key
continues to Just Work.

>Secretaries (even church secretaries) know how to type and know what this
>key does.

Exactly.

Paul