Re: Commit: A boat load of things

Subject: Re: Commit: A boat load of things
From: Sam TH (sam@uchicago.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 06 2001 - 21:25:27 CST

On Tue, Mar 06, 2001 at 10:10:10PM -0500, Randy Kramer wrote:
> Results of some testing on Word97:
>
> There are three spelling related options on the Spelling and Grammar
> dialog:
>
> Ignore
> Ignore All
> Add
>
> Ignore: Ignores the instance of the mispelled word permanently. (I.e.,
> if you close and reopen the file it is still ignored.) The red squiggle
> is removed.
>
> Ignore All: Ignores all instances of the mispelled word (in this
> document) permanently. (I.e., if you close and reopen the file it is
> still ignored.) The red squiggles are removed.

I think this is the behavior that we want for AbiWord, in both of
these cases.

> Add: Not tested thoroughly. Presumably adds the word to the user's
> custom dictionary. (I know there is a standard dictionary, and a user
> can create any number of custom dictionaries. In a dialog he can
> specify which custom dictionary he wants to use for this particular
> document -- In the Tools | Options | Spelling and Grammar | Custom
> Dictionary he can specify which custom dictionary he wants to use for
> this document (or create a new one by specifying a new file name (for
> the dictionary). When I tried add tonight, the "added" misspelled word
> did not end up in the custom dictionary.)

Can you test one more thing?

Try adding "fooooo". Then type "foooooo" (one more 'o'). What
options does word give you? I seemed to remember that one of the
would be the original "fooooo". This is the behavior that Just Works,
IMHO, and is what we should try for.

        sam th
        sam@uchicago.edu
        http://www.abisource.com/~sam/