Re: non-latin1 locales question

Subject: Re: non-latin1 locales question
From: Vlad Harchev (hvv@hippo.ru)
Date: Wed Mar 07 2001 - 05:17:45 CST

On Wed, 7 Mar 2001, Tomas Frydrych wrote:

 Hi Tomas,

> When I run AW under a non-latin1 locale (utf-8 in my case), I get a
> warning at startup gdk-warning: locale not supported by c library. I
> know for a fact that my c lib supports the locale and this warning
> has never proved a problem. However, people who run under
> genuine he_IL locale get this warning too, and their keyboard input
> is impacted, Hebrew chars being treated as the extended chars
> from latin1.

 I don't see this warning when running under russian locale since it's
properly defined.

> Does this happen on other non-latin1 locales? How does gdk
> determine whether the locale is supported or not? Any suggestions
> how to get around this?

 This warning is issued in this fragment of gdk code: in
gdk_set_locale:gdkim.c

  if (!setlocale (LC_ALL,""))
    g_warning ("locale not supported by C library");

 So, setlocale fails...

 As for how to fix this: setlocale definitely fails if
/usr/share/locale/<LOCALE>/ doesn't contain files
LC_COLLATE
LC_CTYPE
LC_MONETARY
LC_NUMERIC
LC_TIME

 (or a subset of these files).

 To get these files, you have to run localedef AFAIK - it will create these
files. This can solve input problems too.

 Input of russian works fine for me. Can you input hebrew chars in ANY gtk
widget (e.g. file name entry in File->Open dialog)?

> Thanks Tomas

 Best regards,
  -Vlad