Re: status matrices and XSL

Subject: Re: status matrices and XSL
From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Thu Mar 08 2001 - 11:33:12 CST

Karl,

You're making me a very happy guy! Thanks.

At 04:13 PM 3/8/01 +0100, Karl Ove Hufthammer wrote:
>> (Basically, it's a cut & paste job from the current HTML file to
>> the appropriate spot in the XSL file, no?)
>
>Yes (or in the XML file, if it should be different in different documents).

Sounds like most of this should go in the XML file, then, since we'll want
to wind up with three orthogonal status matrices. AFAICT, the only stuff
that gets repeated is the Legend color block at the top, and the last update
info, which should probably move from the bottom to the top to be more
user-friendly.

http://www.abisource.com/feature_matrix.html
  - explanatory preface at the top
  - tables for each of the following:
      - c props, p props, section props
      - breaks, image, data, styles, fields
      - other features
      - character sets
  - header row:
      - UI stuff ... View, Dialog, Keyboard, Toolbar
      - file formats ... AbiWord, RTF, doc, htm, txt, LaTex, etc.
  - cell contents (as described)
  - explanatory footer
  - last modified date

http://www.abisource.com/ui_matrix.html
---------------------------------------
  - explanatory preface at the top
  - tables for each of the following:
      - Framework ... util, gr, ev, xap
      - Application ... main, ap
      - Dialogs (XAP)
      - Dialogs (AP)
  - header row:
      - platforms ... xp, win, unix, gnome, beos, qnx, mac
  - cell contents (as described)
  - explanatory footer
  - last modified date

Note that this document is probably the most complicated, so XSL rules which
are capable of generating something like this should also suffice for the
others.

http://www.abisource.com/locale_matrix.html
Presumably, this would have a similar format to the other two. The row
headers you already have are fine, and it should be trivial to whip up the
necessary preface and explanations by cutting and pasting old emails.

As for the generated cells, I'm guessing that it'd probably fine to just
have one big table for now.

Alternatively, it might be useful to break down the resulting list into
something like the following categories, if only because that way, we can
group locales with similar charset issues.

  Latin-1
  Latin-2
  Cyrillic
  BiDi
  CJK
  Other

However, I'll defer to the folks who support these locales -- whatever's
most useful for you is what we should do.

>> However, I'm not sure how much work it'd be to recognize which
>> portions of the underlying XML file go into which section. For
>> example, your current XML hierarchy goes matrix - header - row -
>> cell. Since we're using the same headers across all sections,
>> how hard would it be to introduce a section level between the
>> header and the rows?
>
>Not too much. Will each document (file) contain only one set of header rows?

Yes. See above.

>> bottom line
>> My hope is that you'll find it easy to do any XSL-specific work
>> required here. Would you be willing to do so?
>
>Yes.
>
>> If so, then it should be quite straightforward to do the
>> remaining work of replacing our existing outdated matrices with a
>> easily-maintained XML/XSL variant.
>
>I'll work on it this weekend.

Awesome! Thanks. :-)

Paul