advocate or luddite?

Subject: advocate or luddite?
From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Thu Mar 08 2001 - 13:50:30 CST

At 01:27 AM 3/8/01 -0500, Dom Lachowicz wrote:
>I'm not
>necessarily advocating the use of gettext or any other *particular* i18n
>mechanism, but I'd prefer to "not beat a dead horse."

From some of the feedback I've been getting recently, I suppose I'm coming
across as an advocate, either:

  - for extending what we already have (make, ispell, strings, etc.) or
  - against some new alternative (autoconf, pspell, gettext, etc.).

This is not my intention. I'm familiar with what the current mechanism can
do, so it's convenient to use it as an example when proposing solutions.
However, my goal is to ensure that the final result Just Works on all our
platforms. Period.

I'll continue to try to do a good job of differentiating between:

  - what the final solution needs to accomplish, and
  - how we could get there using what we already have.

If I blur that line too much, please let me know.

Anyone who's ready to come up with concrete suggestions of how we can reach
that goal should definitely do so. By all means feel free to use whatever
vocabulary or technology you feel is most appropriate to help describe and
implement the necessary solutions.

Paul,
also very open to suggestions