Re: [Bug] MS Word Import .dot==.doc?

Subject: Re: [Bug] MS Word Import .dot==.doc?
From: WJCarpenter (bill-abisource@carpenter.ORG)
Date: Thu Mar 08 2001 - 15:33:39 CST

paul> 2. We give a little thought to what it means to directly open a
paul> template file.

paul> - Can you edit it? Probably. - Should you be able to save it
paul> back to the same file? I'm less sure.

Something to factor into ruminations about this. There is an annoying
feature (or something) in MSWord that sometimes makes it impossible to
save a template into anything but a *.dot. If you get one of those in
the mail from someone, edit it, save it as a *.doc, and send it back
to them, a comedy of errors can ensue. They will have both
"example.dot" and "example.doc" laying around. Any time they
edit/save "example.doc", it will almost certainly save to
"example.dot" and they are unlikely to notice it.

1. This is clearly MSWord misbehaving (but in exactly what way I
    cannot say). You can probably educate yourself about how to work
    around it, but you can't depend on getting your collaborators
    educated.

2. This happens to me on a fairly regular basis with some
    collaborators. They think they are working on and sending me
    documents, but they're sending me templates. If they simply
    rename them on their end, they migrate back to being templates
    anyhow.

3. I don't know the answer to sorting this all out. Maybe just do
    the save into *.abw format and let the other end work it out for a
    change. :-)