Re: [Bug] MS Word Import .dot==.doc?

Subject: Re: [Bug] MS Word Import .dot==.doc?
From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Thu Mar 08 2001 - 14:52:27 CST

At 06:44 PM 3/8/01 +0000, Hubert Figuiere wrote:
>According to Dom Lachowicz <cinamod@hotmail.com>:
>> Should I just add '|| !UT_stricmp (szSuffix, ".dot")' to the
recognizeSuffix
>> method, or should I add another filter to the list, kind of like what Vlad
>> did with "RTF for Old Apps"? The .dot extension is encountered *very*
>> infrequently, so I'm leaning toward the former method rather than the
>> latter.
>
>I vote for solution #1

Agreed, with two caveats:

1. You also update GetDlgLabels so that files with both suffixes get listed
in the file open dialog. Obviously, .doc should be listed before .dot in
the pszDesc prompt, but I don't think the order matters as much for
pszSuffixList.

2. We give a little thought to what it means to directly open a template
file.

  - Can you edit it? Probably.
  - Should you be able to save it back to the same file? I'm less sure.

The whole point of templates is that the usual use is to open up a new
untitled document based on that template. However, in some cases you want
to be able to update the underlying template definition, and perhaps affect
some or all documents which were created using (or based on) that template.

I forget what the various UI choices are here. I suppose it depends on how
you differentiate the three cases:

  A. create a new document using the default template
  B. create a new document using *that* template
  C. open the template itself so I can change it

If, as I suspect, we'd want B to be its own special dialog (which may
describe or even preview the template you're choosing), then C could just be
what you get if you do a File/Open on a .dot file.

Paul

PS: I must admit that I've been thinking about what it would take to sneak
in .awt (ie, AbiWord templates) support before 1.0, but I'm unlikely to get
any further than a POW, and even that's a stretch, without help from others.