Re: how should we localize locale names?

Subject: Re: how should we localize locale names?
From: Karl Ove Hufthammer (huftis@bigfoot.com)
Date: Fri Mar 09 2001 - 15:23:06 CST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Rohr" <paul@abisource.com>
To: <cinamod@hotmail.com>; <abiword-dev@abisource.com>
Sent: Thursday, March 08, 2001 11:36 PM

> 2. If anyone knows of an efficient XP "standard" for globalizing strings,
> by all means speak up. To my knowledge, most XP products still use parallel
> platform-specific resources and tools for packaging and maintaining their
> translations.

I'm also working on localizing Mozilla <URL: http://www.mozilla.org/ >, which
uses the XML DTD and JavaScript .properties files. The Mozilla user interface is
written in XUL, which is an XML application. The XUL files use normal XML entity
references, e.g. &openFile;, which are defined in the DTD file (character
encoding UTF-8). The .properties files are written in escape Unicode. We use the
XP (Java) tool MozillaTranslator <URL: http://www.mozillatranslator.org/ > to
translate and maintain the localization files.