Re: status matrices and XSL

Subject: Re: status matrices and XSL
From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Fri Mar 09 2001 - 16:22:49 CST

At 01:45 AM 3/9/01 +0100, Karl Ove Hufthammer wrote:
>Here's some preliminary work. It contains the few first rows of the UI
matrix.
>Does it look OK, or does it need radical changing?

Sweet. Thanks for the sneak peek. I'd probably move that huge "column
explanation" down to the bottom, but that's just me. I want to get right to
the colors. :-)

>(The HTML file *does* work in
>Netscape 4.x, atleast somewhat,

I *am* noticing some fairly annoying glitches in the rendering on 4.0
browsers, but presumably they can be fixed with some more tweaking:

  Netscape 4.04 -- over an inch of vertical whitespace above each matrix
  MSIE 4.0 -- narrow cells with no padding. perhaps a minimum width?

For grins, I also loaded it into:

  DJ Delorie's Lynx Viewer, and
  the WebTV viewer (a desktop simulator, actually),

and it looked pretty good there, too. Figure out how to widen up those
cells and we'd really be in business! ;-)

>but please do yourself a favour and use Mozilla
>0.8!) I'll add the legend and support for other colours later.

I personally have a soft spot in my heart for good CSS implementations -- if
you really scour the Web, you can see why -- but since we're going to be
posting this on the website for the world to see, we probably can't insist
that everyone upgrade their browsers to make it legible.

If satisfying the least common denominator means writing out static HTML
tables with *no* CSS, then we might want to consider doing so. I just hope
we don't have to.

>The format of the XML file goes like this (see ui_matrix.xml):

Wow. That's more verbose than I would have bothered with -- big hunks of
included HTML would probably be more my style -- but I tend to do the
minimum possible I can get away with.

So long as it's easy to update cells and add new rows or columns as needed,
that's all I care about.

What does everyone else think? I'm thinking that one of the next bug days
could be devoted to getting these matrixes totally up to date, so whatever
makes it easiest for the IRC to get new bugs into these documents is what we
should do.

Paul