Re: how should we localize locale names?

Subject: Re: how should we localize locale names?
From: Sam TH (sam@uchicago.edu)
Date: Sat Mar 10 2001 - 04:59:42 CST

On Sat, Mar 10, 2001 at 09:04:43AM -0000, Tomas Frydrych wrote:

> > Absolutely!! This is _not_ the way to go... I'll even go so far as to say
> > that I will not provide id-ID translations for the names of all of
> > AbiWord's supported languages, whatever Owen Stenseth's perl script says.
> Why not? Any other localised text you will not provide translations
> for? Well, might be we should have English-only interface; imagine
> the amount of work the translators would save.

I think you are needlessly criticizing Tim here, Tomas. At the
moment, there's no need for translations of all the names of the
various different languages. If people need to choose a language,
they will want to have their language presented in their language.

I'm sure that if there was some other reason to have the names of
different supported languages, Tim would be willing to do the
translations.

sam th --- sam@uchicago.edu --- http://www.abisource.com/~sam/
OpenPGP Key: CABD33FC --- http://samth.dyndns.org/key
DeCSS: http://samth.dynds.org/decss