Re: how should we localize locale names?

Subject: Re: how should we localize locale names?
From: Tomas Frydrych (tomas@frydrych.uklinux.net)
Date: Sun Mar 11 2001 - 02:51:01 CST

> Sam:
> Are we asking people who don't speak the language that AbiWord is
> using to select a language? Or are we asking people who are currently
> using a localized version of AbiWord to select a *different* langauge
> to type some text in?
>
> If the former, then I agree with Paul and Tim, since when you have to
> choose your language, having it presented in your language is
> optimal. If the latter, I agree with Tomas, for all the reasons he
> has given.
>
> I'm confused. What do people think we are discussing?

The Language menu on the 'Tools->Spelling and Language' and the
associated class UT_Language that sparked this disussion has to
do only with the latter -- people who are using a version of AW
localised to their own laguage and are selecting a language for the
particular text they are typing for the purposes of spellchecking,
thesaurus, ...

I quite agree that the former case, where poeple are telling AW to
provide them with the interface in a whole different language will
require a different approach, but that is not what 'Tools->Spelling
and Language' and UT_Language class are about.

Tomas